The Community Foundation of Middlesex County and its Council of Business Partners are pleased to announce the Bully-Free Communities Spotlight Award to be given to Middlesex County schools that encourage students, faculty and staff to stand together for change and stand up to mean- spirited behavior. The award opportunity is for programs implemented at K-12 schools in the towns of Chester, Clinton, Cromwell, Deep River, Durham, East Haddam, East Hampton, Essex, Haddam, Killingworth, Middlefield, Middletown, Old Saybrook, Portland, and Westbrook.
Recognition will be bestowed to deserving schools whose programs and activities meet or exceed the following criteria:
- The program/activity assists the school in providing a safe and healthy environment.
- The program/activity supports parents and the community at large to become involved in the school.
- The program/activity encourages active student participation which has improved the overall school climate.
- The program/activity must be educationally sound, stimulating the school and students to build a positive school climate.
- The program/activity must not place an undue burden or obligations on students, their families, teachers, or school.
- The program/activity must not exclude any student because of race, handicap, creed, or gender.
Two schools will be recognized each semester. Fall semester winners will be announced at the Bully-Free Communities Rally in Middletown in October. Spring semester winners will be announced at a to-be-determined date and location.
The award-winning schools will be recognized as follows:
- Grant award for unrestricted use.
- Bully-Free Communities plaque for permanent display on school site.
- Award presentation with press release/photo sent to local news media.
- Award announcement and news posting on Connecticut Association of Schools and Community Foundation of Middlesex County websites, social media sites, and through eblasts.
An application for the Community Foundation of Middlesex County Bully–Free Communities Spotlight Award is available hereDownload Bully Free Spotlight Award Application
or the application can be requested via email to Doretta or by calling (860)347-0025.
Applications for the October 2015 awards are due by September 30.
Applications for the April 2016 awards are due by March 20, 2016.